Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2019

Resolving to Read - My 19 for 2019: Reading Edition

I know the statistics; most resolutions made in January are broken in February. Still, I love, love, love resolution season. There is just something so exciting about the fresh start feeling floating around in January. Everyone is making goals, everyone is making positive changes and going after that one thing they’ve always wanted to do, it’s so exciting! There is just something about this time of year that makes me want to pull out a notebook and pen and write lists.

Planning obsessions aside, resolution season, for me, has always been about finding the thing that works best for you to make your life better.  In 2018, I tried creating an 18 for 2018 list, a list of 18 things to do in 2018, if that was not obvious. I got the idea from the podcast Happier with Gretchen Rubin (highly recommend), and my list included items like read a book aloud with Scott, call family on their birthdays, and play Dungeons and Dragons with my two besties and their husbands. I’m proud to say I did all 18 on my list!

As resolution season approached, I was already thinking of my 19 for 2019. I made a pretty awesome list, but when I thought about what is truly important to me (besides Scott, family, freedom, and food) the answer was obvious; books.

Books are my happy place. When I don’t have to think about anything I am thinking about books; ones I’ve read, ones I want to read, ones, I want to write, etc. Setting a resolution to read more is hardly needed for me, but I still wanted to set some goals to grow my reading repertoire, and, to appease my obsession with lists I created this add-on to my 19 for 2019:

19 for 2019: Reading Edition:

1.    Read one book on writing craft.
2.    Read one independently published book.
3.    Read one 2019 debut book.
4.    Reread one longtime favourite.
5.    Reread one recently discovered favourite.
6.    Read on classic I’ve never read before.
7.    Read one graphic novel.
8.    Read one new picture book.
9.    Read one non-fiction book.
10.Read and finish a series I’ve already started.
11.Read one recent award winner.
12.Read one murder mystery novel.
13.Read one historical fiction novel.
14.Read one memoir or history book.
15.Read one book on my bookshelves I’ve never read.
16.Read one book by a Canadian author.
17.Read one contemporary novel.
18.Read one fairytale retelling or fantasy book.
19.Read one play.

Some of these picks are second nature, some are completely new, the challenge for me is always expanding beyond fantasy, but this year I am aiming for a year with books across all my interests, the new and the familiar.

So happy resolution season everyone! If you want to read along with me (or create your own 19 for 2019: Reading Edition), let me know and we can talk books together!

See you in 19 books.

No comments: